Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Creation of a Blog

Creating this blog has been on my mind for the past couple of weeks. At first I thought it was just a desire to join this fun blogging world that I've grown to love as I've enjoyed a handful of blogs of various sorts for several months now. But then I decided that God planted this seed, not me. So I told Him if that was so, then He was going to have to show me what He wanted it to be--what the title would be, what the theme verse would be, and what He wanted to use it for. While I tried to be patient and wait for His answers, I thought of lots of reasons why I shouldn't do this (and what I felt was God's response to these reasons):

1. Like I have time to add one more thing to my day--I just told my mom a few days ago that I can't even find 15 minutes in the day to exercise! (Don't you think if I want you to have this blog then I'll make sure you have the time for it?)

2. What if my blog is not as good as some of these other great blogs I've been reading, or as pretty a blog, or have as many readers as they do? (It doesn't have to be bigger or better or prettier; it just has to be what I want it to be)

3. But I'm afraid I won't be a very good writer or won't be able to write in such a way as to make others want to keep coming back for more. And besides all that, my aunt Nell is an English professor and she might just want to use my blog as an example for her students of how NOT to write! (Remember Moses?)

Obviously I wasn't getting anywhere with my excuses, so I just said fine, but you are going to have to give me its title and theme verse so that I will know it's You telling me to do this. Guess what? He did! First of all, the word "abundant" kept crossing my path and wouldn't go away, so I decided that was to be part of it. Then suddenly it was "exceedingly abundant." I liked that, but I couldn't find a verse that I thought went with it, so I wasn't so sure. Finally today, I was going to listen to a past Focus on the Family broadcast on my iPod, and as I was listening to the one I chose (or come to find out, the one God chose for me!), I can't tell you how many times the speaker said "exceedingly abundant" and gave me my scripture reference!! That sealed the deal, and here we are!!

As I went through this process, I realized that God wasn't as interested in blogging itself, but in what blogging could do for His kingdom. So I simply want to be obedient to Him with this blog and share with you what He is doing in my life. Now please don't come read this blog and expect some great theological diatribe (I'm not even sure what a diatribe is!) or the answers to the great questions of life. Just know that I will share with you about the life I live day in and day out, how I sometimes succeed, sometimes fail, and sometimes just simply survive. (I'm saying "you" as if I have this faithful following of a jillion people, when in reality "you" may consist of my husband reading this out of curiosity, my mom reading this, well, because she's my mom, and my aunt Nell reading this because she's mentioned in it!)

But if you do like anything you've seen in this "Creation" post, or are just plain curious, keep checking back to see what's next in this exceedingly abundant life that I get to claim as mine!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi! I'm Karen too and I found your blog through the 'random' button on the CWO blog ring. Anyhow, I love the name of your blog and have adopted Deut. 32:2 as our homeschool verse - it's about teaching being as abundant rain on tender plants. Isn't it awesome how God wants to many parts of our life to be abundant! My blog is at www.growing-in-grace.net if you'd like to stop by.

Kelly said...

Hi Karen,
Welcome to bloggityville! I, too, love the name you have chosen--Ephesians 3:20 is one of my life verses. I look forward to visiting you again.