Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Valentine Tribute

She was born on Valentine's Day, so hearts and love are always a part of her.

When we were little and shared a room, she never liked for me to snuggle with her at night--much to my disappointment. She wanted her space to sleep. She outgrew her love for dolls and Barbies long before I did--again, much to my disappointment. Our gifts from Mom and Dad often were the same or very similar, but of a different color. Most of the time hers was pink or purple and mine was blue or green.

When we were in junior high and high school, we didn't know it was okay to like each other. We spent more time fighting over who was going to wear what or arguing over what time was the right time to leave for school. I guess you could say we couldn't live with each other, but probably thought we could have lived without each other.

When she moved off to college and we didn't live with each other, we had a hard time living without each other. We discovered beneath all the arguing and fighting that there was a friendship just waiting to be given a chance. We quickly became best friends during long phone conversations and my visits to campus on weekends to stay in the dorm with her. The only time she didn't like me then was when people mistook me for her older sister just because I was several inches taller than she was.

When I stood beside her at the altar as she married the love of her life, I could not have been more proud, and it had nothing to do with the hours I spent sewing six bridesmaid dresses. I was beside her as her dream came true, and her gain was my gain as well--I now had a new friend in the process and had two people to love instead of just one.

When I visited her kindergarten classroom for the day, I realized that she not only found a place for her education to be used, but she had found the ministry God had for her. Those little 5-year-olds were more than just her students to teach; they were "her" babies to love and to kiss their boo boos and to let them know they were special, even though they may not have had another person in their life to tell them so.

When I received the phone call that she was suddenly very, very sick, I didn't think my heart could hurt more. When the doctors said there was nothing more they could do, I realized it not only hurt, it was broken.

When I stood at the altar beside the love of my life, tears of sadness mixed with my tears of joy because she wasn't there beside me, sharing in my dream come true, gaining a new friend of her own.

When my babies breathed their first breaths and cried their first cries, I cried because they would be missing out on knowing Aunt Susan. This side of heaven anyway.

She's been with Jesus for over eight years now, and I miss her. When it's my turn to meet Jesus, it will be her face that I anxiously seek out in that "great cloud of witnesses."




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling there would be a Valentine Susan blog today. It's a snowy day, just like the day she was born. Through tears, we can thankfully remember so many wonderful times and what a lovely lady Susan was, and how she still touches our hearts. I do hope Susan gets to be in my welcome "Home" crowd. I think she will be. And today, my heart is full of thankfulness for Karen and her family, Clint and his family, and the loves and good things we do still share. Love you Mom

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling there would be a Valentine Susan blog today. It's a snowy day, just like the day she was born. Through tears, we can thankfully remember so many wonderful times and what a lovely lady Susan was, and how she still touches our hearts. I do hope Susan gets to be in my welcome "Home" crowd. I think she will be. And today, my heart is full of thankfulness for Karen and her family, Clint and his family, and the loves and good things we do still share. Love you Mom

Deidre said...

Wow, what a touching post. Your sister sounds amazing.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I've enjoyed reading yours and will be back.

Deidre

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

What a loving tribute to your sister. Time passes and some things may hurt less, but I'm not convinced some of our losses ever really "heal". Sounds like you miss her so much.

Stacey said...

Oh.my.heart.aches.

What a beautiful tribute. Halfway through I was convinced she was reading this along with me....and then, then the awful news that you had lost her 8 years ago! My heart sank.

Thank you for sharing.

Stacey said...

Okay, I just read your comment on my blog and wanted to leap into (?) the computer and give you a hug!!! Hold on while I stand up and do a little happy dance.... okay, I am back.
A NEW FRIEND!!! You are sweet and I am so glad to have met you.

We have many things in common, I can tell already.

If it's okay, I am just going to go ahead and put you on my sidebar...



See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Karen, what a beautiful tribute to Susan - I never knew her birthday was Valentines Day. As I watch my two girls grow through the stages of like/dislike, I pray that they will develop a relationship based on faith, family, and friendship! One of the best things my brother ever did for me was give me a "sister" when he married you! Love you! Marci

Anonymous said...

Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,cheap wow gold,buy cheap wow gold,real wow gold,sell wow gold, ...wow powerleveling Here wow gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99 ,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),buy euro gold wow Cheap wow gold,cheapest wow gold store ... buy euro gold wow wow gold--buy cheap wow gold,sell wow gold.wow powerleveling welcome to buy cheap wow gold--cheap, easy, powerleveling wow gold purchasing.World of Warcraft,wow gold Super ...
We can have your wow gold,buy wow gold,wow gold game,world of warcraft gold, wow Gold Cheap wow, Cheap wow gold,world of warcraft gold deal,Cheap WOW Gold ...

Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,wow gold,buy cheap wow gold,real wow gold,sell wow gold, ...
Here wow gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99,powerleveling World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),buy gold wow lightninghoof instock Cheap wow gold,cheapest wow gold store ...
wow gold--buy cheap wow gold,sell wow gold.welcome to buy cheap wow gold--cheap, easy, wow gold purchasing.World of Warcraft,wow gold Super ...
Wow gold- Gold for buy gold wow lightninghoof instock EU-Server: ...wow Gold EU: starting from 84,99?; 3000 WoW Gold EU: starting from 119,99?. wow Gold- Leveling Services: ...
We can have your wow Gold,buy wow Gold,wow Gold game,wow gold, Cheap wow Gold, Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,world of warcraft gold deal,buy cheap wow gold,Cheap WOW Gold ...

Here wow Gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow Gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),Cheap wow gold,cheapest World of Warcraft Gold store