Sunday, March 18, 2007

Bits and Pieces

A few random thoughts on our life lately:
  • I am loving that Spring is here!! One evening last week, I packed a picnic supper, and we all four headed to the park. It's amazing how "gourmet" a ham and cheese sandwich becomes to the kids when eating it at a picnic table at the park. It was such a fun evening of being together and enjoying this sweet little family that God has blessed me with! Benjamin is already asking for us to do it again!

  • Speaking of Benjamin...a few nights ago, he ran by Mark and me as we sat visiting at the kitchen bar, and very casually (and with a big smile) said, "Mommy, I don't have any underwear on." My first thought was he had an "accident" and maybe was on his way to get a new pair. So I asked if that was the case. "No," he again very casually answered. My mind raced to figure out what was going on here, remembering all the errands we had run that day, and trying not to fall off my stool, I said, "So, did you put any underwear on when you got dressed this morning?" "No," came his reply. Acting like this was an everyday occurrence and no reason for me to blow a gasket at my son running around town all day with no underwear on, I said, "So, why did you not put any underwear on when you got dressed this morning?" His reply was, "Hmmm, well, because it's a special day!" I had no idea.

  • Another fun thing that we've recently done was attend the carnival last weekend that was in town for our fair city's annual celebration. Now you have to understand the magnitude of this. Ever since last year's event, Benjamin has been completely enamored with carnivals and Ferris wheels, and to have it back in town was nothing short of a miracle for this 3-year-old. After making daily, and sometimes twice daily, visits to the carnival site during its construction, we actually got to go to the carnival and see it in all its "glory". Aside from the fact that it was way too expensive and I'm way too cheap to spend much on tickets when my kids are 3 1/2 and not quite 2, it was fun just to see the kids take it all in, with all its bright lights and activity. Again, it made for a fun family night out. But then again, we can go to Wal Mart together and have a fun night out! (Seriously. I hope that's not too sick and demented. I think that's called life with toddlers and any event to get us out of the house is fun.)

Anything else that I would post about our recent happenings would revolve around the sicknesses that seem to be hanging around our house way too much, so I won't bore you with details. Let's just suffice it to say that the kids and I were home from church today for the third time in the last four weeks.

I will close on a positive note by sharing with you the scripture that has been on my mind this week, and frankly has gotten me through these days of dealing with what seems like our never-ending sicknesses:

Psalm 54.4: Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.

May God sustain you and bless you in the week ahead.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Karen!!! I am so irritated with bloglines, I am thinking about not using it at all anymore! It NEVER shows me that you have new posts!

Anyways, I haven't read through these two about your family time and your Dad, but I will later today. Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I intend to be much better about visiting and commenting!!


I am also in the midst of writing about my weekend with Lauren. (It is taking me a while to write as I have to be in the zone, ya know??)

Peace!