Monday, March 12, 2007

The Silver Lining

Do you remember when you were sick as a kid, and there were always perks that went along with whatever ailed you? Like missing school, unlimited TV, free-flowing Sprite, 24-hour room service (or couch service), or, as was the case for us, your choice of music on the car radio on the way to the doctor. Those were the days, huh?

Well, after being in bed all weekend with bronchitis, I discovered there are still some perks that go along with being sick even when you are a mommy. Now, these perks have to be weighed against the fact that you will now be even further behind than you were when you got sick and your kids will get to watch way too much TV because their whining drives their daddy crazy, and....the list goes on. But, you have to find that silver lining in the cloud or it's just no fun.

So, what are the "grown up" perks of being sick, you ask? Well...
  • Guilt-free napping. Forget the fact that I was too tired to lift my head up off the pillow to have options of what I could be doing, but still, it was guilt-free!
  • Room service. Never mind that it involved a Wendy's hamburger and french fries. For whatever reason, I was absolutely famished, so it tasted like fancy cuisine. And I didn't have to fix it. Or get out of bed to get it. Or take care of my dishes afterwards. Enough said.
  • Guilt-free TV viewing. OK, so this was only after the first day or day and a half. Before that, I couldn't keep my eyes open to watch anything.

And one of the best perks of being sick as a mommy? Hearing your sweet husband say, "Things just don't go as well without you."

Enough said.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Well, I have been praying for you and I am so glad you at least had enough energy to post about the "perks"! That is a good sign you are on the mend!

Don't forget to have some chicken soup! If I lived close I would bring it to you myself - and I would probably do a load or two of laundry and clean your bathroom. But, you'll have to settle for a {{{{HUG}}}} instead!!

Take care sweetie!

(oh, and we have news...go check out my blog when you feel better)

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better! What a wonderful silver lining...to feel pampered and extra appreciated!

Julie

Deidre said...

Oh, I love this. I have been sick as well this week. And, you're right, those are some definite perks.

I pray you are feeling better!