Friday, April 6, 2007

"This is Going to be Good"

I read the blogs of several wonderful Christian women who provide me with such wisdom, insight, laughter, and comfort on a daily basis. I've spent the last several minutes visiting several of them to read their thoughts on this Good Friday. It's been a blessing to see so many different thoughts on this day that means so much to us as Christians.

Last night, our church had a Maundy Thursday service that God used to really touch my heart. I went to bed Wednesday night with a heavy heart because it suddenly hit me that I had been too busy this week to stop and prepare my heart for Easter in the way that I would have wanted to. I allowed the worries of my everyday life to overshadow what is the most important time in the Christian year. So I went to the Maundy Thursday service last night with a strong desire for God to touch me and prepare me in the way He wanted for these days leading up to Easter. And, as you know, God never disappoints!

We had some beautiful music interwoven with touching scripture passages, and then we all filed down to our Fellowship Hall to partake of communion in a special setting. We were seated at tables of 12--representative of Jesus' last supper with His 12 disciples. We were served by a man dressed in attire appropriate for that day, and our meal was lit only by candlelight at our tables. It was a blessed time.

As Benjamin and I were filing down to the Fellowship Hall with the rest of the congregation, he was very curious about what we were doing. He kept asking me 20 questions in his little boy whisper voice, and I struggled to balance the reverance of the moment and the innocent questions of a very curious 3 year old. As he realized we were going to have "bread and juice", he became very excited, almost jumping up and down. Then he looked at me and said, "Oh, Mommy! This is going to be good!" My heart thought, oh baby, if you only could understand how good it really is.

Benjamin sat beside me at our table of 12, and as we waited to be served, he was still very curious and excited. We were directed to break off our piece of bread and take our cup, but to hold them and not partake of them yet. For a little boy who loves having "bread and juice," that was almost torturous. So when we finally ate our bread and drank from our cup, he took his almost ravenously, as if he couldn't eat it or drink it fast enough. As Benjamin drank his juice from that tiny cup, he was practically gulping it. It took him several drinks to take it all in, where I usually just swallow it in one swallow. As I observed him doing that, I thought, that is how I want to take in God's grace--not casually drinking it down with one swallow and then moving on. But gulping it down, ravenously, excitedly, not able to take it in fast enough. The good thing is this--God's grace is indeed abundant enough for us to gulp it down, and the cup never runs dry.

Good Friday is always a sad day as I remember all that Christ endured for you and for me. But what always gets me through is knowing that Sunday is coming! There's such hope and joy in knowing that the story doesn't end today. Walking into worship on Easter Sunday almost overwhelms me with the joy and excitement, gratitude and thanksgiving that is in my heart for our Savior.


Yes, Benjamin, this is, indeed, going to be good!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

That sounds like a wonderful grace moment in parenting - you know, the kind of moment where your not sure who is learning more, the child or yourself. How amazing to have the words of your son speak so dramatically to your heart! It is like Jesus was speaking right through him!!

Blessed day to you as you await the joy of the resurrection!

Rhonda said...

I'm visiting your site for the first time. Beautiful post. I love seeing things through the eyes of my children.

My husband is the Family Ministries Pastor at our church. As we have a young congregation from a church plant, this means for lots of children.

Bless you and your family this Easter.

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

"God's grace is abundant enough for us to gulp it down" - loved that. xoxoxo