Sunday, May 6, 2007

Dance With Your Daddy

I did a class at our church yesterday morning for our junior high girls and their moms entitled "Spiritual Beauty: Secrets to Being a Godly Girl." I talked to them about inner beauty and outer beauty and more than anything wanted to convey to them how special and perfect and beautiful they are to God. As I was praying and preparing for this, God gave me an idea to start out our time together. I gave each girl and mom a 3x5 card and asked them to write on the front of the card five things they liked about themselves and on the back, five things they didn't like so much about themselves. I was then going to go into some of the lies society tells us and then what the truth is based on God's word. I fully expected it to be easier for the girls to come up with the five things they didn't like about themselves than it was to come up with the five things they liked about themselves. Sure enough, that is what happened.

But what I didn't expect to happen was that the moms had as much trouble or even more than the girls in coming up with five things that they liked about themselves. I heard comments such as, "I can't think of five things I like about me. Why couldn't you have asked us to come up with just two or three?" I was reminded that this is not just an issue for pre-teen and teenage girls--that we as adult women struggle sometimes in realizing the value and worth that we have, especially in the eyes of our Creator. So I'm going to share with you some of what I shared with these girls and their moms, and I hope that you are reminded just how precious you are in His sight!

Here are some things God says about YOU in the Word:
  • "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL." You grew up and became a beautiful jewel. Ezekiel 16:7
  • "YOU ARE HONORED." You are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you. Isaiah 43:4
  • "YOU ARE TREASURED." The Lord your God has chosen you to be His own special treasure. Deuteronomy 7:6
  • "YOU ARE ONE OF A KIND." I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart. Jeremiah 1:5
  • "YOU ARE PRECIOUS." The Lord's loved ones are precious to him. Psalm 116:15
  • "YOU ARE LOVED." For he loves us with unfailing love. Psalm 117:2

In her book "Do You Think I'm Beautiful?" Angela Thomas writes this:

“The God who slung the stars across the heavens…that God, the King, has always been taken with you. You have been noticed. He thinks you’re beautiful, the glass slipper fits, the music is playing, and He’s asking you to dance.”

The King of Kings is our Daddy, and, girls, that makes us Princesses! Don't let anyone or anything tell you differently. So grab your tiara and get ready to dance the night away in the arms of your Daddy.

He's waiting just for YOU.

5 comments:

Serving Him said...

Thank you for sharing this. All women, no matter their age, need to be reminded to look to God's Word for Truth,even Truth about them, rather than listening to what society has to say. I loved your Bullet points and enjoyed reading all the Scripture verses that show how much God loves us. Please pray for me, as I too will be discussing a similar topic on May 19th. The women youth group lay leaders at my church are putting on a 1 day conference for the Youth Group and I am leading a session on modesty. I pray that the girls will be open to what will be said. I will post about how things go. Thanks. From your new east coast friend.

Sandy said...

I love this! I am going to use this idea with my Faithgirlz group this week! Scale it down a little for their 4th grade minds, but PERFECT!
Thank you!

Julie said...

Great post...and definitely a topic most females need to hear and think about! In fact, I just finished listening to a Focus on the Family show dealing with Healthy Body Images. Your post was another great reminder!

Serving Him said...

It's me again...I don't know if you do meme's (I don't really know what that stands for), but I was sent my first one and thought of you. So, I've tagged you with a meme "8 things about Me". Check out my place for the rules.
Blessings on your weekend.

Deborah said...

As I was reading this I thought of the book I have just finished called "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge. You will love it from what I see here. I love Angela Thomas have you read her other book when wall flowers dance?

love always
me