Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Comparison Game

Do you ever find yourself comparing you to someone else, and find you coming up short? Like someone who has a bigger house than you? Or can afford nicer vacations than you? Or looks cuter in an outfit than you could ever look? Or finds time in her days to do twice the amount of fun things that you are able to do, and she has twice as many kids as you do? Or does a better job of teaching her kids their alphabet or memorizing Bible verses? Or cooks her family meals that are ten times healthier than the ones you cook your family?

I do.

It doesn't take too much effort to find myself smack dab in the middle of the comparison game. And when I do that, I always end up on the short end of the comparison. Funny how that works, isn't it?

But it doesn't take long before I remember that I am who I am because I am who God made me to be. If I were just like so and so or whoever it is I am comparing myself to, then I wouldn't be the unique, fearfully, and wonderfully made child of God that I am meant to be.

Also, when I do find myself in the midst of that comparison game, I'm basically saying that I don't think that me, that fearfully and wonderfully made child of the God who doesn't make mistakes, is not good enough. So did God mess up when He designed me? Or you? I think not.

If you find yourself thinking you just don't measure up, remember this:

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. Psalm 8.3-5

Did you catch that? A little lower than the heavenly beings?? Crowned with GLORY and HONOR??

I'd say that maybe I'm okay afterall. And so are you!

5 comments:

Deidre said...

Karen, I find myself in the comparison game a lot, but mostly when it comes to mothering my children. I look at others and think "they do so much more with their children", or "they have so much more energy than I have". I end my days feeling like a failure in the Mom department. Satan really does a number on me in this area. Thanks for that verse - such encouragement.

Oh, just a side note.... you are a terrific Mom!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Oh, Karen,

How often I've had these very thoughts and not known how to word it so eloquently! Thank you for this sweet reminder. I would love to link this. Do you mind? Have a great weekend.

Mindy said...

I LOVE this! The comparison game is HARD for me, too! Thanks for the reminder!

Sandy said...

Great post, Karen. I'm so with you on this! I hate the comparison game.
Sandy
4 Reluctant Entertainers

Scratchin' the Surface said...

I've heard the saying, "God doesn't make junk", sweet post!