Saturday, July 21, 2007

Icey Creamy, Icey Creamy

"Icey Creamy, Icey Creamy
Cold and Sweet;
Icey Cream, Icey Creamy
Can't be beat..."

For those of you moms with toddlers who love Barney, there's a pretty good chance I now have this song singing in your head! (You are welcome--it's stuck in my mind, so why shouldn't it be stuck in yours as well?) My two children love Barney, and even though I swore to myself during my teenage babysitting days that "my kids will NEVER watch this annoying dinosaur--EVER!", I do let them watch it. And anytime the topic of ice cream comes up, chances are, one of them will start singing the Ice Cream Song.

I get an email everyday from the Everyday Cheapskate, and one day this week, it included a recipe for "Campground Ice Cream." I've seen similar recipes before, but have never tried them. So I decided for a fun little family project, we'd give it a try this evening. Here's the recipe:

Campground Ice Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 egg,
beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1-pound coffee can
1 3-pound coffee can
crushed ice
rock salt

Place cream, milk, egg, sugar & vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well. Clean the 1-pound coffee can well. Pour the liquid into this small can. Seal with the plastic lid and tape the lid to the can very well with sealing tape or duct tape. Set this can in the center of the large 3-pound coffee can. Pour 4 parts crushed ice and 1 part rock salt into the spaces between the small and large cans until full. Cover the large can and tape this cover in place as well.

Take the cans outdoors and roll it back and forth on the picnic table for 10 minutes. Or let the kids roll it back and forth in a game, out on the lawn or other open area. Uncover and stir the ice cream. Recover and tape shut as before. Return to large coffee can with the salt and ice (or replace as necessary) and roll 5 minutes more. Open, serve and enjoy!


If you are like us and are not coffee drinkers, you can buy cheap coffee at WalMart in the two sizes needed for about $6 or so. (I can hear some of you saying, "why don't you just pour it into your electric freezer, plug it in, and have ice cream--much less energy." And I say, "Much less fun!") We rolled our cans around on the driveway this evening, and it worked great. One thing we did not do was replace the ice and rock salt partway through the process, and we ended up with a milkshake instead of ice cream! But that didn't stop us from eating it (or rather drinking it!) and enjoying it. But I bet if you put new ice and rock salt in halfway through the rolling process, you'll have thicker ice cream.

Here is Campground Ice Cream in action:

Enjoying the finished product...
So, Benjamin, how did you like it?
The look says it all!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Mmmm, sounds delicious and FUN for the kids!
Sandy
4 Reluctant Entertainers

Mayhem And Miracles said...

How cute! The idea and especially the pictures of the kids. I have to admit though, I'm not understanding what the rock salt does exactly from outside of the gooey mixture? I wasn't much of a science whiz in school - obviously.

Deidre said...

What a neat idea. Thanks for sharing. I'll be back to copy that.

I said I would never let my children watch Barney either ... then I had children :)

Scratchin' the Surface said...

You can bet your kids will remember this someday, and THAT is the whole point. It might be something fun to pass on to next generations! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I have scrapbook ideas racing through my head! Looks like fun! Love ya! Marci

Gwendolyn said...

I just found my way here...and I'm going to have to try this. My kids will love it!