Monday, August 20, 2007

Birthday Celebrations

I may have been out of the blogging loop for a while now, but this weekend is certainly a great place to get back in the loop! Our weekend was filled with celebrations for Benjamin's 4th birthday! His big day is actually August 23rd, but we chose this past weekend to do our big family party.

Mark and I decided to purchase a swing set for Benjamin's birthday, knowing that he and Hannah would both have lots of fun playing on it. In my head, I have had visions of 2 or 3 days of busy little ones climbing, sliding, swinging and having fun on the new equipment. But Mother Nature had other visions--ones that included a LOT of rain! We knew with the tropical depression that rain was predicted for the weekend in our area. So Mark and I spent all day Thursday trying to get the swingset assembled and erected in order to beat the rain. Unfortunately, we were not able to finish on Thursday, and the rain hit Thursday night! Mark spent Friday dodging the rain showers to get it all finished, only to then have 9 inches of rain prolong the fun! I've never in my life seen so much rain, especially not in West Texas! At one time, we had four inches of rain standing in our yard--guess we could have opted for a swimming party! Fortunately, the rain stopped and the nine inches managed to soak in the ground enough for us to go outside Saturday evening to begin breaking in the new swingset. The kids had a great time, and I know there are many more great times to come!

I cannot believe that Benjamin will be four years old in 3 more days! It seems like just a couple of weeks ago I got my first glimpse of that wailing little baby and discovered we had a son--a moment we had awaited for nine months! And wasn't it just last week that I was laying on the floor laughing at and encouraging our expert "army crawler" as he became mobile for the first time? I feel like just a few days ago we moved him from his crib into his "big boy bed" as we prepared for the arrival of his little sister. Now, he's a non-stop, always on the go, bundle of energy that stills likes to cuddle in my lap (thank you, God!) and can hold my hand by intertwining his fingers with mine rather than just me wrapping my long fingers around his entire little hand. My, how the time flies.

Happy Birthday, Benjamin!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Yay!!! SO GREAT to hear from you!! You look wonderful - looks like you had a busy summer LIVING the life you have shared with us!

Happy Birthday to Benjamin!!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Welcome back! And Happy Birthday to Benjamin! I've been having these little flashbacks, too, as the kids ALL started school this week! Sniff, sniff. For some reason reading this what came to my mind was "Swinging In The Rain."