Thursday, September 13, 2007

God is Enough

I've been working on a talk that I will be giving for a church group in a couple of weeks that basically reflects on my Christian walk. As I've thought about this, prayed about this, and read back through some journals from years past, I've recounted joys, disappointments, victories, and heartache, among other things. The one phrase that keeps coming to mind is that no matter the circumstance, "God is enough."

What I didn't realize while preparing this talk was how often these past couple of weeks I would have to remind myself of the fact that "God is enough."

Like when our friends' son chose to take his young life, bringing much shock, grief, heartache, and unanswered questions to his family and friends in a small, very close-knit community.

Like when my friend shared with me her heartbreaking story of a teenage girl in her town with so much promise and a powerful witness for Christ dying from injuries sustained in a car accident.

Like when Mark and I learned of a friend and colleague of Mark's losing his battle with cancer and knowing his sweet wife and five young children will be left to learn to live life all over without him.

There is so much heartache in the world we live in, isn't there? It's easy to get overwhelmed by it all and let it overtake the joys and miracles God gives us everyday. But when my heart gets so sad and the tears threaten to fall, it is then that my heart says to me, "God is enough."

Enough to sustain us through even the toughest of days.

Enough to give us strength, mercy and grace for the moment at hand.

Enough to trust that even though we have questions, He knows the answers to them all and can see how the story ends even though I can't.

It is then that the sun begins to peak out from behind those gray, dreary clouds, and I start to notice anew the beauty of the day--the beautiful blue jays singing and playing in my yard, without a care in the world; the cool breeze blowing, signifying the change in seasons brought to us from a creative and loving God; and two little miracles, full of energy and life, who call me Mommy and love me in spite of my many imperfections.

God is good. And God is enough.

5 comments:

Deidre said...

Yes, He is enough, Karen. Thanks for the reminder this morning.

I've missed you. So glad you posted!

Scratchin' the Surface said...

What a lovely post, full of exhortation to all of us to remember - "in this life you will have trials, but take heart, I have overcome the world." I'll be praying about your upcoming talk, I'd love to be there in the audience. Wonder if you could post it? Even in pieces?

Stacey said...

I'm with Dierdre, I have missed you!!

And yes, AMEN, He is enough! More than enough, in fact!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Wow, Karen. I hope your devotion hits the women you're speaking to just as it did me. Thank you for this blessing. I'm so sorry for your friends. I can't imagine. They're blessed to have you at times like these.

Anonymous said...

Karen, I can hardly believe the timing of me reading your blog. I haven't checked in in several weeks and just tonight I read it as tears stream down my face. The young drummer in our praise band was killed today in a motorcycle accident - half a block from Bailey's school as school was letting out. I watched him grow up in our youth group and become a strong man of intergrty and faith. Our church staff just met late tonight to debrief and discuss how we help our church through all of this and yes, God is enough! Please keep his parents in your prayers he is their only child. Thanks! Marci