Friday, December 21, 2007

Sweet Conversation

I wanted to share a conversation with you that I had with Benjamin a few weeks ago. I was sitting in the floor, unpacking Christmas ornaments, and he picked up a framed picture of my sister, Susan:

B: Mommy, who is this?
K: That's Susan. She's my sister.
B: She used to be your sister?
K: No, she's still my sister, but she lives in heaven with God.
B: Is that for real? (he's learning "not real", i.e. on TV versus "real", i.e. real life)
K: Yes, it's for real.
B: Aww (in a sad way). Did I know her when she was born (alive)?
K: No, Sweetie, you didn't.
B: Did you know her when she was born?
K: Yes, I did.
B: (after pausing to think) So she's in heaven doing work with God?
K: (Smiling despite the tears filling my eyes) Yes, she is.
B: Do you think she watches over us every day?
K: Yes, Baby, I do.

We knew Benjamin was beginning to grasp the concepts of death and heaven, we just weren't sure the extent to which he understood--until this conversation. It was precious. I loved him saying, "So she's in heaven doing work with God?"

Wouldn't you love to know what that looks like to him in his head?

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh Karen, that is precious. What a sweet, sweet story.

Theresa ♥ said...

We've had this discussion with my five year old lately as well as the 5 year anniversary of my little sisters death is just days away. He sees her pictures in our home and plays in Kim's room at his grandma's house.

This is my first visit to your blog and I am enjoying my time here.

Blessings,
Theresa

Sandy said...

Very sweet from Benjamin.
Great catching up on your blog. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!