Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Perfect Gift

Today is my birthday, and here is one of the gifts I received:



As you can see, it is a purple and yellow seashell, trimmed in gold and lots of "diamonds." It opens up to look like this:


The card on this gift said, "To: Mommy, From: Benjamin and Hannah."


You may be asking why in the world am I blogging about a purple and yellow seashell. I'll tell you why. Because this is the first gift that I have ever received that was 100% shopped for and chosen by Benjamin. Mark said there were several other items that they looked at, some of which were Hannah's vote to be the purchased gift. But Benjamin insisted that this is what he wanted to give me for my birthday--after all, he was certain I would LOVE it.


And you know what? I do. Not because it is something I would have chosen for myself, but because my favorite little boy in the whole wide world chose it JUST FOR ME. This somewhat gaudy little seashell is representative of my firstborn child; the one I look at and say, "he DOES look like me!"; the one who loves on me and kisses on me all day long; the one who is growing up way too fast into such a sweet little boy.

This seashell will occupy a very special place on my dresser and will soon have a little note tucked inside, reminding me of when and why it now occupies a very special place in my heart.

Happy Birthday to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can just picture the excitment on Benjamin's face, as you opened this precious gift! Happy Birthday to you! Marci