Monday, June 23, 2008

The Unexpected

I am 33 years old, and if asked, I would say I am in relatively good health. I try to exercise regularly, but in reality it's usually 2 or 3 times a week, though I do spend my days keeping up with a 3 and 4 year old. I do my best to feed my family healthy meals, with 98% of my recipes coming from what used to be "Light N Tasty" and is now "Healthy Cooking" by Taste of Home. I am well within my healthy weight range, and if I told you I was trying to lose 6 or 8 stray pounds, you would laugh at me and ask me where those pounds might be (being 6' 1" has its advantages!). I take my vitamins, drink lots of water, and try to limit my coke and caffeine intake.

So why did I find myself in the emergency room two weeks ago, hooked up to an EKG machine, after having a very scary and very strange heart episode? Why did I have to go back to the hospital a few days later for an echocardiogram, and will be going in two days for a nuclear stress test, and also am now wearing a holter monitor to record any heart episodes I have in the meantime?

Good questions. I'm really ready for some answers.

I certainly never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be dealing with heart issues at this age. And because it is my heart that we are dealing with, my stress level over the whole situation is a bit more elevated than, say, if we were dealing with a broken pinky toe. And I'm quite sure that stress is not helping whatever this heart situation might be.

So I wait. And wait. And in the meantime, I ask for your prayers.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Bev said...

Hey Karen, I'm hoping stress, before all of this, is what is at the bottom of this. Keep us posted and I'll commit to be praying in the meantime. xoxo