Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent

Tomorrow begins the season of Lent--the 40 days (except for Sundays) preceding Easter Sunday. As we speak, Mark is at the church, finishing up on his preparations for the Lent service he has planned for tomorrow morning at 7am and then to be repeated at 12 noon. I'm looking forward to attending the service at noon. I'd love to be there at 7am--what better way to start the day--but to get me AND the kids ready to be gone by about 6:45 am would more than likely result in two, if not three, tired, grumpy folks. Not a good way to start the day.

I've spent some time giving some thought and prayer to my Lent season. Wikidpedia describes Lent as the "forty-day-long liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where according to the Bible he endured temptation by Satan. The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer...for...Easter."

My plan for fasting and prayer includes this:

  • to support Mark's efforts of no sweets or cokes by abiding by the same fast;

  • to fast from any extraneous email and internet time, which means if it doesn't involve work or paying bills, it's off limits (except for 5 minutes of personal email time I'm going to allow myself each day--I don't want to completely cut off communication with those friends or family with whom email is the only way we communicate)

  • to spend that extra time that I'm not wasting (checking my email for the 57th time a day or surfing the 'net) prayerfully reading the book "Freedom of Simplicity" by Richard J. Foster. It's subtitle is "Finding Harmony in a Complex World." Sounds appealing, does it not? This book has been on my table for several months, and it's just never made it to the top of my reading stack. If I finish this one before the 40 days is over, I'll carry on with his book entitled "Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home."

The summary on the back of "Freedom of Simplicity says this:

"Simplicity is not merely a matter of having less stress and more leisure. It is rather an essential spiritual discipline that we must practice for the health of the soul."

I'm looking forward to this time of Lent. I know God is in the midst of these commitments and fastings, and I anxiously await all He has to show me during this time. I'll be back at Easter to share with you how things went.

2 comments:

Bev said...

Love this idea - it's interesting to me to see how Lent hits different hearts. Our pastor is preaching on 'relent' - letting go, and how it's so much more than giving up chocolate. Amen to that! Talk to you in a month, to hear what you have to say about it all.

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)