Sunday, April 26, 2009

Report, Part 1

I promised to report to you about my Lent experience. Most of my planned report was going to be over the book I read during Lent called "Freedom of Simplicity" by Richard J. Foster, but as life happened during that time, I have even more to share! My thoughts on the book will come later. But first...

**On Friday, March 6th, Mark and I learned that we would be moving our family in June! As most of you know, Mark is a United Methodist pastor, and with that vocation, moving is just a part of life. We have been in this appointment for 5 years and knew a change would probably be coming in the next year or so. We will be moving 5 hours to the north of where we are now, yet will still be in Texas--how crazy is that?! (In fact, we figured that living where we are now, we could move 5 hours in any direction from here and still be in the same state! Only in Texas!) The move will put us 2 hours away from my family (we are now 3 1/2 hours away), so you can obviously guess they are very excited about our move! The downside will be moving further away from Mark's parents. Now we are 2 hours away; once we move, we'll be 4 hours. It's still manageable, and it could be a lot worse.

We have visited our new church and new home (they have a parsonage, so no house hunting will be necessary--yeah!). Our visit was very positive, the people were so kind and welcoming, and we are looking forward to the new adventure God is calling us to!

You can imagine what my "To Do" list looks like right now...

**Somewhat related to the move, but then again not really...Mark and I have very prayerfully made the decision to homeschool Benjamin and Hannah next year. It was not a decision made lightly; it took lots of praying and thinking and talking and praying and praying. I will say I feel so strongly about this decision and know that God is in the middle of it. My heart has just burned over the thought of homeschooling the kids (the good kind of burn in your heart, not the Maalox kind!), and to say I am excited about it is an understatement! My calling as a wife, mom and homemaker has really been reinforced over these past couple of months, and for right now, homeschooling the kids is a part of that. We don't know if this is a long-term decision or short-term, but I think God will let us know as we go along!

Oh, yes...the town we are going to "just happens" to be very homeschool-friendly and has a large homeschool population. Coincidence? I don't think so...

You can imagine, once again, what my "To Do" list looks like right now...

Stay tuned for Part 2...

2 comments:

Will and Taylor said...

Homeschool!!! I want to hear more about this decision! Email or give me a call soon. . .

Bev said...

Karen, I'm so anxious to know where you'll be in Texas - how close you'll be to me when I finally get there. I've read the Richard Foster book - a great one. How wonderful that a home comes with the move, pre-chosen for you, and all you have to do is go in and make it feel like your home. Blessings to you as you begin the process, I know it's a daunting one. PS Easter photos are great - I'm always struck by just how lovely you are.