Monday, August 31, 2009

What We've Been Up To

When I think about what we've been up to, the first thing that comes to mind is:

Life is good.

I don't think I can recall a time in the more recent months, or maybe even last couple of years, when I have felt more content with life itself.  We are settling in to our new home, new town, new church--and loving it all.  The kids and I started our fourth week of homeschool this morning, which is going beautifully.  And I am getting settled into a new routine and schedule as I relish my role as wife and mom.

There is something to be said for being just where God wants you to be.  "Homemaker" is not always a popular or accepted term, depending on the company you are keeping at the time, but for me, it's just where I'm supposed to be.  I've known since I was a small girl that God had made me to be a wife and mom.  Other occupations and activities might be interwoven here and there, but my heart has always said, "I want to be a wife and mom."

I can vividly remember a conversation I had with one of my upper-level college professors about my plans after graduation.  He encouraged me to consider moving to the Metroplex or a larger area than where I was because I had the potential for a "really good job."  I gave lip service to the conversation at the time, but I still remember how my heart was saying during the entire conversation, "You are made to be a wife and mom."  No promise of a lucrative job could lure me away from the desire God put in my heart at an early age.

(This blog post has been interrupted for a clean up in Benjamin's bedroom of a broken light bulb as a result of an overturned lamp.  Seems a football pass gone awry was to blame.  After a quick clean up and thorough vacuum, I have completely lost my train of thought...)

Suffice it to say, I'm so happy doing what I'm doing.  The kids and I are having a blast doing school together, I'm very fulfilled to be keeping our new house (as clean as I can, anyway; certainly not spotless!), and we are all enjoying my latest baking goodies, whether it be homemade bread, cinnamon rolls, or biscuits (I never thought I had time to bake before.  But is there anything that smells better than bread baking??).  I have sewing projects waiting in the wings with more being planned in my head. 

And most importantly, I'm thanking God daily for the calling he has on my life to care for these two precious, growing bundles of energy that take up the majority of my waking hours, and for the sweet husband that I get to live life with on a daily basis.

God is good.

1 comment:

Bev said...

Loved reading this - it oozes with peace and contentment. It's wonderful when we find the place God has for us to be, and are comfortable in it.