Monday, December 14, 2009

I Love Christmas, But...

I want to preface what I am about to say with this:

I LOVE Christmas.  I love teaching my children the real meaning behind this holiday.  I love decorating my home and enjoying the twinkling lights on our tree.  I love shopping for gifts for those I love and wrapping them up in pretty paper.  I love a month that makes me focus on the real gift, the ONLY gift that matters.  I LOVE Christmas.

I am NOT a Scrooge.

But...and I am prepared for boos, hisses, and rotten tomatoes...

I am tired of Santa Claus.

There it is.  Go ahead.  Call me un-American.  Call me a grump.  Call me whatever.  But I AM tired of Santa Claus.

Santa seems to take center stage in the consumeristic, materialistic, worldly celebration that is Christmas for many people.  But I don't want Santa taking center stage in my family's celebration of the birth of Christ.

I don't get into the "Santa Claus is watching you!" method of parenting at Christmas time.  I don't want my kids to have to pretend that they believe in Santa long after they really do in order to continue getting gifts in their stockings.

In this day and age, it actually kinda creeps me out to think of my kids sitting on the lap of some man that I don't know from Adam just so that I can have a picture of them for the "memory of it all".  And then to have to pay a ridiculous amount of money just to walk away with a 3x5 photo of the "memory."

Mark and I refuse to lie to our children.  They are smart, curious kids, and it won't be long before "what do you think?" will no longer satisfy their questioning selves.  I'm so ready to just be straight-forward with them.  To tell them how Santa Claus came to be a part of this holiday in the first place.  To enjoy filling their stockings, simply because it's a fun way to celebrate and spread joy to those I love, rather than trying to make them think a fat, jolly man in a red suit somehow makes it down our chimney (even when I have my church collection displayed in front of the fireplace doors) to put gifts in their stockings.  I'm ready to teach my kids that we ALL can be Santa Claus by sharing hope and love with others who desperately need it year-round, but who especially might feel forgotten at this time of the year.

I am tired of Santa Claus as the world knows him.

1 comment:

Jolee said...

Karen, I feel the same! I do not like the idea of lying to children... Others build it up SO much - and with the Elf on the Shelf - REALLY?!
Anyway, echoing your comments... I am in dilemma of what to do every Christmas... I have smart kids!