Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Who Are These Kids??


(besides being squinty-eyed because the sun is really bright!)

Did you say they are two kids that are glad that school is finished?
You're right!  Mostly, anyway.  They both love school.

Did you say they look like a Kindergartener and a Second Grader?
Right again!  And they are so proud of it!!

Today was our final day of this school year!  Wow!  It's hard to believe we have another year of homeschool under our belts.  Hannah was in Pre-K this year, and Benjamin was in First Grade.  Being a homeschool mom is one of the biggest blessings God has given me.  I can't imagine not getting to teach them and be by their side each day as they learn and grow in so many different ways.

Our house is only a couple of blocks from the high school track, so in the mornings that is where I go to do my walking.  I'm usually walking by the school about 7am, and it absolutely breaks my heart to see a school bus in front of the school dropping off kids for the day.  At 7am!  Those same kids probably don't get home until at least 3:30 pm or 4:00 pm each afternoon.  I completely understand that for some families, this is the only option.  But oh, how grateful I am that God has called us to a different life.

I'm not one to get on my homeschool soapbox and say that everyone should be doing it.  But I do believe that we are ALL scripturally called to be the first and most important teachers of our children, and I understand that looks different for each and every family.  I feel truly blessed and humbled that homeschool is what it looks like for ours.

We are officially on "summer break" for about six weeks, and we'll start our new year of school in mid-July.  I decided last summer that three months of unstructured summertime is just too much for us!  Our plan is to have a shorter summer break and incorporate more breaks in our school year.  I'm anxious and excited to see how that works for us!

In the meantime, my agenda includes an anniversary trip to New York City (holy cow am I excited!!), a church conference, planning for next school year, snow cones, a homeschool conference, and plenty of time by the swimming pool!!  Hello, Summer!!

2 comments:

Bev said...

Sarah also loves being able to set her schedule and they take breaks that fit their family, rather than the calendar. Happy you to get to go to NYC - we're planning to visit it sometime when we head back East to visit our daughter's family. Hope it's wonderful for you!

Kat's said...

Hello
We started home schoolibng in Nov.I love it I have a 7 year old ,and a Second Grader .I thank God Every day . I love Blog Kathy