Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Daily Schedule

I have not fallen off the face of the earth, though my presence here on my blog would lead you to believe otherwise!  Life can be life sometimes, and some events last week got me so out of routine that it's taken me a while to get back into the swing of things!!  But I am here now, and I wanted to continue addressing some questions that resulted from my last two webinar presentations on the HomeschoolBlogger.com.

Someone asked me about my schedule, how early I get up, how I fit exercise into my day, etc.  I thought I would post a "skeleton" of my daily schedule to give you an idea of what I aim for my my days to typically look like.  I have yet to have a "perfect" day (if you've had one, let me know--I want to know the secret!  :o), but I have to have a schedule and plan or else my day is simply a mess!!  Here it is:

5:30 am - get up, fix my breakfast, Bible study
6:30 am - exercise (walking/running)
7:30 am - fix kids' breakfast, shower, dress, start load of laundry
9:00 am - school
12:00 pm - lunch, laundry in dryer
1:00 pm - time for me while kids are in rest time/quiet play time (I read, crochet, nap if need be--do whatever makes me happy!)
2:00 pm - fold laundry with kids
2:30 pm - daily cleaning task with kids
3:00 pm - kids have snack and watch a show; I finish cleaning/laundry
3:30 pm - afternoon activity (dance, gymnastics, church, science, cooking, etc)
4:30 pm - dinner preparation
5:30 pm - dinner with family
6:00 pm - clean up
6:30 pm - family play time
7:00 pm - kids' bath/bedtime routine
8:00 pm - kids in bed; time with Mark
8:30 pm - my bedtime routine
9:30 pm - Goodnight, Mommy!

In a nutshell, that's my day!  Do I always get 8 hours of sleep?  Heavens, no!!  However, if I had my way, I'd get 8 1/2 or 9 hours!  Knowing what I know now, it is imperative for our bodies to get enough sleep, and I've had to learn to shut off my activity early in the evening in order to get in bed early enough to get the sleep I need.  I've also learned how imperative it is for me to get up early enough to exercise.  If it doesn't happen first thing in the morning, you can almost bet it won't happen at all.  Adequate sleep and adequate exercise are two of the best things we can do for the health of our bodies, and I've learned they are two of my main defenses in my battle against depression.

I'll talk more next time about how I schedule my housecleaning and laundry tasks!  Do you have any scheduling tips that help to keep you sane?  Do you have any questions about my day?  If so, just leave me a comment!!

2 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

I don't know what it is, but I LOVE to see how other HSers schedule their day! Thanks for sharing this!

As school will start for us on Monday, I'll post later today our curriculum choices, and following that I'll post our own daily schedule. Not that I follow it rigidly or become a slave to it, but use it as a flexible framework for my day.

Bev said...

oh my, 5:30 AM!!!!! Maybe I can copy, but start and end at different times, especially since we're in a different season of life. I did put on my to do list for this week to figure out my schedule, for exercise, devotions, house cleaning, and play time too. I'll check back to see what else you have to share.