Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Holiday Cooking and Spending

After an early morning trip to the grocery store, this is what the top of my kitchen cabinet looks like:

That's quite a pile of ingredients, isn't it?  I guess it's obvious where I'll be spending much of my time over the next few days!

In addition to making two batches of candy and three pumpkin rolls for the church staff luncheon we are hosting tomorrow, there's ingredients in that pile to make Christmas jelly and pretzel candy that will be gifts to the kids' Sunday school teachers, as well as all the good stuff that I needed to make my most favorite hot chocolate recipe!  There is also the makings for meals that I'll be delivering to two different families over the next couple of days--one family that just had a new baby and one that will be having their new baby next week.

A friend remarked to me today how one's grocery bill can go sky high during the holidays.  Honestly, though, ours hasn't really been affected.  Why?  Because of what I wrote about in this post: using coupons, combining them with sales, and stockpiling.  Since I am in the habit of doing these things, I already had the meat and vegetables on hand to prepare the meals for the two families I referred to (plus my own family; if I'm cooking for someone else, I double it to feed my family so that I can save time and effort!); and the dessert is being made from ingredients that were all on sale this week at the store.  So I bought a few more ingredients to add a fruit salad to the menu, and it was done.  That, plus everything else I needed to feed my family for the next week and a half, and I was well under my budget.  I even had enough left over to stockpile some other items that were at rock-bottom prices this week.

If you aren't in the habit of couponing or shopping sales and stockpiling, maybe that can be something you consider as a New Year's resolution.  The New Year is just around the corner, you know?!

No comments: