Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pumpkin Roll Disaster

Last week, Mark and I hosted a luncheon for our church staff and their spouses.  Last year I cooked the entire meal, but this year, Mark suggested we have the meal catered.  I said that was great, but that I wanted to do the desserts--I felt like I needed to contribute somehow!

I decided to do pumpkin rolls for our dessert.  For the record, I have made pumpkin rolls before--successfully--so it's not like I was going out on a limb trying something new.  But for whatever reason (I did use a different recipe this time, so I don't know if that is to blame or what), this is what the rolls turned out to look like:



No amount of powdered sugar sprinkled on top was going to fix those cracks!  Needless to say, I was rather stressed.  This was the only contribution I was making to the meal, and it was now a disaster!!  The thought of ditching THREE pumpkin rolls to make another dessert was just too wasteful.  At the advice of my clear-thinking husband, I stopped pacing the kitchen, covered them with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator until I could decide what I was going to do.

What do you do when you have a disaster in the kitchen???  Call Mom, of course!!  So I did and told her what had happened.  She suggested I make a trifle out of the enormously cracked pumpkin rolls.  What a great idea!  So I made a double batch of the filling recipe, toasted some chopped pecans, and created this:


If you are like me and think the cream cheese filling is the best part anyway, this trifle was heaven on earth--a little bit of pumpkin roll and a BUNCH of cream cheese filling!!!

Diaster averted!  Yeah, Mom!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I was reading down this entry (obviously I am behind) I was thinking "she should make a trifle" The Pampered Chef Consultant in me kicked in! :) Marci

Melany said...

I love that I am not the only one calling mom. :) What a great idea this was for a fix. Looks delicious too! Aren't moms wonderful?!