Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Hole in Our Gospel: Day 14

When we started this six-week quest, I wanted to include my children in it as much as possible.  So we talk with them about the topic that is being addressed for a particular day, and when videos are provided for a certain day and are appropriate, we show them those as well.  There are times that we never know whether a lesson we have attempted to teach them has actually stuck or not.  But some of what we are talking about in regards to this six-week quest is, in fact, sticking.

Many, many times since we began talking with Benjamin and Hannah about the fact that many people in the world do not have access to fresh water, they include in their prayers, "Please, God, help those in Africa who don't have clean water."  (Don't you just know God must smile to hear words like that come out of the mouths of His babes??) 

Just last Sunday, as we were getting ready for church, Benjamin came into the bathroom where I was putting on my makeup and asked me why he couldn't take two dollars to church for the offering instead of just one.  If you know me very well at all, you know I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan.  We do his "Financial Peace, Jr." system with the kids, which is basically just a way of teaching them the life lessons of working to earn your money and then taking care of your money wisely.  The way we have our kids set up right now is if they do their designated chores each week (there are five of them that they can earn money for), then they earn five dollars for the week.  Of that five dollars, one dollar must go to their "giving" envelope, and then they typically choose to put one dollar in their "spend" envelope (for gum, piece of candy, etc.) and the other three in their "save" envelope for whatever they are saving up to buy.  So I explained to Benjamin that if he wanted to give two dollars to the church each week, then he would need to choose how to divide up the rest of his money, and that two dollars going to the church would mean one less dollar for him to either spend that week or save.  He barely even missed a beat and said, "Well, Mom, it's more important for me to give to the church than it is to spend money on myself.  So I want two dollars each week to go to the church, and the other three can go into my "save" envelope.  The church needs my money more than I do."  I just melted into a puddle right there.  I'm so grateful that my kids are "getting" it.  God is good.

Shifting gears a bit, I wanted to share this quote with you that I came across this morning as I was preparing my lesson for Sunday School tomorrow:
"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."  --Flannery O'Connor

No comments: