Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Hole in Our Gospel: Day 21

I am playing "catch up" now after being out of town for several days, and I've been reflecting some on what all we've covered and experienced thus far in the first 21 days of our study on "The Hole in Our Gospel."  (I can't believe we are half way through our 42-day study!)  One of the quotes that arrested me--for lack of a better term--from the very beginning of the book is "Are you willing to be open to God's will for your life?"  I immediately wrote that on a notecard and posted it on my bathroom mirror where I see it multiple times each day.  (Some day I'll have to take a picture of my bathroom mirror for you--it's where all the important prayer requests, Bible verses, quotes, etc get posted so that I will see them each day, and it's become quite full!)

"Are you willing to be open to God's will for your life?"  That's a scary question.  At times, it's a no-brainer to me.  Of course I am open to God's will for my life.  I want what He wants for my life.  Why would I want anything else?  At other times, however, that's a question I tend to want to run away from.  But what if His will for me takes me away from the places that I am used to?  What if His will for me is uncomfortable? (chances are, it will be)  What if His will for me is not what I want?  What happens then?

As a preacher's wife, this question brings even more questions to my mind.  When is He going to call us to move on to a new church?  What if it's sooner than what we want?  What if it's not as soon as we want?  What if I'm not ready to start packing boxes again or preparing my kids for that transition?  What if I was ready two years ago to move on?

But at the end of the day, my answer is absolutely, unequivocally Yes, I am open to God's will for my life. Here's what Renee Stearns had to say about this when her husband, who authored "The Hole in Our Gospel", was being called to be the President of World Vision:
"If we turn our backs on God's will for our lives, what makes us think we'll be better off?  Maybe God is saving us from something we can't know--one of our kids getting into trouble, losing your job, a terrible accident, or worse."  --"The Hole in Our Gospel," pg. 89
So maybe we feel like God's will might take us somewhere uncomfortable, even unsafe...what makes us think we will be more comfortable or more safe turning our backs on God's will??

While he was in the belly of the whale, Jonah said in Jonah 2.8:  "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs."  I don't know about you, but comfortable or not, I certainly don't want to miss out on one ounce of grace that God wants to bestow upon my life.

So, YES, God, I am willing to be open to your will for my life.

1 comment:

Salem said...

Wow, I love that quote from "The Hole in the Gospel" - we've had that very discussion several times at our house recently! LOL!