Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Hole in Our Gospel: Day 3

Today our focus is on our possessions and that much of the world's poor can fit all of their belongings into a small suitcase.  Our challenge is to select just FIVE of our possessions and pack them into a small suitcase.

This has taken a lot of thought for me to decide on five items.  I've thought a lot about how many of our possessions are wants, not needs.  There are many, many things in our home that I could certainly live without.  I've thought of the boxes that are stored in the garage, full of things I think I need or might need someday.  There are many, many things I could stand to get rid of.  Simplification is something I've thought about a lot the past several months.  Today's challenge has made me consider it to an even greater degree.  Much of the time, our excess stuff simply weighs us down and actually causes us stress.

After pondering my five items throughout the day, here is what I came up with:

The Bible and the toothbrush were easy and are pretty self-explanatory.  They were followed pretty quickly by the blanket.  Curling up with a blanket is a very comforting thing to me.  It would serve as warmth when necessary and could also serve several other purposes if need be.  It could be a curtain, clothing wrap if need be, or tablecloth. 

The final two items took a lot more thought.  I finally decided on the laptop after Mark suggested it.  With the beauty of today's technology, I could keep in touch with family and friends and do so many other things by having a laptop.  I thought all day and couldn't zero in on the fifth item, so I finally decided I would choose a change of shirt.  (I could have overanalyzed this whole exercise, which would never have resulted in any decisions, but I just had to take it at face value and decide.)

Can you imagine living life with only those five items?  Life would certainly be simpler.  Not easy, but simpler.

What would you pack?

**Nearly 3 billion people (half of the world's population) live on less than $2 a day. (World Book, 2004)

No comments: