Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Hole in Our Gospel: Day 5

Focus of the day:  hunger

Personal action suggestion:  Think about a day in your life when you were really, really hungry.

I've thought about this for a few days now (I am so excited about this study that I cannot help but look ahead, so I always know what's coming and have been thinking about it before it gets here!).  I honestly cannot think of many instances where I was really, really hungry.  I remember feeling absolutely famished after delivering both of the kids, but I had probably been without food for, at most, 12 or so hours.  I had a similar feeling after my surgery a few months ago, but again, I had only been without food for 18 hours or so.  I did a three-day fast once, but still drank liquids, so even that does not qualify as extreme hunger.  For whatever reason, I am blessed to have never been in a position that I was truly starving.

According to World Vision, "Every three seconds a child dies because he or she was hungry."

That is almost more than this mommy's heart can take.

We, as wealthy Christians in America, can no longer ignore issues such as these.

"If you can't feed 100 people, then just feed one."  --Mother Teresa

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.  James 1.27

No comments: