Here are some statistics that we were made aware of today, compliments of World Vision. Do they bring you to tears like they do me?
- Out of 1,000 babies born in the United States, 6 will die before their fifth birthday.
- In Haiti, 80 will die before their fifth birthday.
- In Myanmar, 104 will die before their fifth birthday.
- In Afghanistan, 257 will die before their fifth birthday.
- In Sierra Leone, 270 children will die before their fifth birthday.
So what does God expect of us? Something. Not nothing. It will look different for all of us, but He expects us to do SOMETHING.
For this precious friend, her family's "something" is adoption. They are waiting for an orphan from Ethiopia to join their family.
For these sweet friends, their "something" is moving to the mission field in the Philippines so she can be trained in midwifery.
For some, it may be sponsoring a child through an organization like World Vision. For someone else, it will be another avenue of being the hands and feet of Christ to a hurting world. Your "something" will look different from my "something." But we all must figure it out. The sooner the better.
"This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." --1 John 2.5-6**For more statistics like the ones above, go to www.holeinourgospel.com. Click on "Poverty Statistics" under the "Resources" tab.