Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Hole in Our Gospel: Final Thoughts

Life happens sometimes, doesn't it?  That is certainly what happened for me these past few weeks.  I was not able to focus as much on our study for the final two weeks as I did for the first four weeks simply because "life" took precedence.  But we did finish up our 6-week study last Sunday, and I've spent a lot of time this week thinking about what all I learned and what I can do to make sure I don't just put the book back on the shelf and go back to living life as I did before.  Mark and I have talked about efforts we want to make to do our part in meeting the needs that are around us, and here are a few areas we want to focus on:
  • As I've mentioned in previous posts, we sponsor a child through World Vision.  I would like for us to sponsor more children in the years to come.  Wouldn't it be great to be able to add a new child each year?
  • Mark and I are praying about mission trip opportunities.  Neither of us has ever gone on a mission trip outside of the U.S.  With the season of life we are currently in, it doesn't seem like we would be able to take a trip together, but hopefully that can be a prayer for later down the road.  For now, we will be looking out and praying for trips we each can take that can utilize our gifts and passions to make a difference in our world.
  • We also want to be on the lookout for something locally that we as a family can do.  We know there are needs right here in our community that we either aren't aware of or simply haven't opened our eyes to.  We don't know what this will look like, but we want to prayerfully be aware of the needs around us and see how God might be calling our family to meet those needs.
I know as time goes by, God will show us other ways He is calling us to make a difference for His Kingdom.  The bottom line is, my life has been forever changed by all I have learned from "The Hole in Our Gospel" and the blind spots that have been removed as a result of this study.  My prayer is that God will not allow us to go back to "life as usual" but will show us what He desires for us in order that we might be His light in the darkness that exists in this world.

No comments: