Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Blankie, Some Kleenex and a Prayer

I don't think I would be too off track to say that most of us mothers often wonder if what we are trying to teach our kids is really sinking in.  Do they really listen to us?  Do they see what we try to teach them in the living of life each and every day?

Last night, God, in His abundant kindness and grace, chose to give me a little glimpse of what my sweet girl is learning.  After supper, I ended up on the couch with a migraine headache (something I haven't done in YEARS).  Immediately Hannah began "mothering" me in such a thoughtful, kind way.  She first brought me her favorite "blankie" and asked me if I needed anything. 

Next she brought over a box of Kleenex, "just in case you need one."  Pretty soon after that, she's back by my side with a hand-drawn picture of a rainbow that says, "Get better soon, Mom." 

After baths and bedtime snacks were taken care of, Hannah came to me before getting in her bed and said, "Mommy, I'm going to say a prayer with you" and proceeded to ask the God of the Universe to please help her mommy's head to quit hurting.

And here I thought I didn't need the box of Kleenex.

1 comment:

Leah in Iowa said...

What a sweet and thoughtful thing for her to do. I'm sure it was such a blessing for you to be on the receiving end this time. Sounds like you are a very good example to her - keep it up!