Thursday, June 2, 2011

Humility

"Mama, are you going to wear your purple pajamas tonight?" she asks me.

"Yes," I reply. "Why?"

"Because I'm going to wear my purple pajamas because I'm a mommy, too," she states, holding her baby doll...


"Mama, where do you keep your purse?" she asks me.

"It's on the counter by the phone," I say.

"Okay," she says as she walks off, butterfly purse in hand, to put hers beside mine...


I stand in front of the ironing board, starching, ironing.

She appears with a tub of baby doll clothes, a princess spray bottle, and her own makeshift iron, to do what I'm doing...

Tears fill my eyes as I am reminded of just how much she watches me.  Every day.  Every move.

Oh, God, I fall so short each and every day.  Through your mercy, may what she sees in me be pleasing to you.  Through your grace, may what she sees in me be a reflection of you.

1 comment:

Leah in Iowa said...

I remember when my 3YO "nursed" her baby doll while I nursed her baby sister. Made me laugh, then cry, every time. Your daughter sounds like she'll be a great wife and mommy when she grows up!