Saturday, January 28, 2012

Love the Lord Your God

One morning this week, my devotion for the day was centered around Deuteronomy 6.5-9.  If ever there was a passage of scripture to guide our lives as Christians and as parents, this is it.  I wrote the passage in my journal, making some notes for each part of the passage, and I thought I would share some of my thoughts:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength..."  I am to love the Lord with everything I have and everything I do.  My walk must look the same as my talk.

"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts..."  I have to commit God's commands to my heart and mind before I can pass them on to my children.  I can't give what I don't already have.

"Impress them on your children..."  After I have filled myself, I am to pour that out onto my children so that they can know God's commands.

"Talk about them when you sit at home..."  Include God and his desires for our lives when we do school, when we read books, when we do chores, when we live life.

"...when you walk along the road..."  Continue that dialog when we are out and about in daily life, making sure it is reflected in all aspects of life, including in our talk and in the music we listen to.

"...when you lie down and when you get up..."  Start and end your day with prayer, scripture reading and conversation about God and his involvement in our life.

"Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates..."  Post scripture in prominent places so that is ever before us all day every day. 

I loved what the footnote had to say in my Bible on this passage:
"The Hebrews were extremely successful at making religion an integral part of life.  The reason for their success was that religious education was life-oriented, not information-oriented.  The key to teaching your children to love God is stated simply and clearly in these verses.  If you want your children to follow God, you must make God a part of your everyday experiences.  You must teach your children diligently to see God in all aspects of life, not just those that are church related."
One of my favorite things about home schooling our children is that God is central in EVERYTHING we do (not that God can't be central to your life if you are not home schooling, but God gets to be a major part of our education here at home, and that is unfortunately not the case in public schools).  We start our school day in prayer, then in reading the Bible story for the day and discussing what it tells us about God and what we can learn from it, and then we work on our memory verse for the week.  I am blessed beyond belief when I sit down each day with my children both to teach them as well as to learn right alongside them.

Our faith in God must be an all day, everyday kind of thing, not just a Sunday morning thing.

What do you do to make your faith an integral part of life?

No comments: