Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Organized Simplicity: Week 1 Review

I hope you have all had a good week and that you are liking what you've seen so far of "Organized Simplicity."  Your wheels are turning by now, I'm sure, with figuring out just exactly what simple living means for your family.  Our assignment for Week 2 will get you even further down that road.

The concept of simple living is certainly contrary to what the world tells us we need in order to live a successful and fulfilling life (again, in the eyes of the world).  I think that is why Week One's memory verse is a great place for us to put our focus as we think about living a life that is contrary to the standards of the world:
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.      --Romans 12.2

 Discussion questions for today:

    1. What are you most looking forward to as we enter this challenge to simplify and declutter our lives?

    2. What are you dreading the most about this journey?

You can answer these questions and make any other comments in the comment section below.

Looking ahead, here is our assignment for the coming week:

Week 2:

  • Read:  Chapters 3 & 4 of "Organized Simplicity"

  • Memorize:  1 Corinthians 10.31--So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

  • Other assignment:  1) work with your spouse to develop your family's purpose statement (from Chapter 3);  and 2) prioritize your everyday activities, as mentioned in Chapter 4

I can't emphasize enough the importance of spending time with your spouse this week to develop your family's purpose statement.  So much of what you do from this point forward will hinge upon the purposes and goals of your family.  I will share our family's statement with you next week.

Have a great week!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I posted my comment the first time or not. I left the computer in the middle of my comment and when I came back it was gone. Oh, well! Try again. I am most looking forward to the peace and family time that a decluttered home and life will bring. We have eliminated many activities on our "journey" to a simpler life, but our life doesn't seem any less cluttered. I guess like our homes, our lives fill up with clutter again. I am hoping that having a family purpose statement to filter everything thru will help us to achieve a form of simplicity. I am dreading the actual work of decluttering our home. Because of our small home we have many items that have to be stored when not in daily use. Decluttering will not be complete until the storage is decluttered and organized. That is something I have been wanting to do for months, but I have 6 very good excuses for not getting it done. I would say wish me luck, but I think I will need your prayers more. D.O.

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen and all!
I'm really looking forward to the end result that I *think* will come especially since we have this accountability group. Right now it just seems like a formidable task.
Blessings,
Karen Miller

Clydene P said...

Our families purpose statement for a while has been 1 Cor 10:31, but many times we forget about it, and need a refresher in what our purpose is.
I am dreading the doing part of living a more simple life, but look forward to all of the benefits that come with it. We have been the process of becoming more simple people the last few years, but it seems like we never fully get to the bottom of the problems so they always creep back.

Anonymous said...

I am going to answer this really late!! I am most looking forward to getting rid of the things that clutter my life and my kids lives. I'm dreading my husbands rolling of his eyes as we do this "again"! (I can't say I blame him though!)

A. Pipkin

Nicole H said...

I am most dreading the fact that I am quite behind, and that goes all over my A personality. But, I do look forward to tightening things up, and bringing into focus things that should be! I can't seem to go through a day at home without thinking "Huh. I'm pretty sure I could get rid of that..." or "Hey, if I move this stuff over here it would work better" ... at the very least, my gears are turning!