Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Organized Simplicity: Week 2 in Review

I'm disappointed before I even get to the second sentence of this week's reading assignment.  "I hate to break it to you, but you can't do it all."  Phooey.  Because I really want to do it all, and not just DO it, but do it really well, if not perfect.  What a battle to fight, especially if we let Satan get a hold of that one and help us beat ourselves up over NOT being able to do it all.

Sigh.

I hope you were able to sit down at some point during the past week with your spouse to develop a purpose statement for your family.  With a purpose statement in hand or posted where we can see it regularly, we can better decide what is truly important for our families and get rid of those urgent things that just like to shove their way into our daily schedules and to-do lists.

I'll share with you our family's purpose statement (feel free to share yours, too--I'd love to hear it!!):
The purpose of our family is focused upon honoring God as we care for one another.  We strive to accomplish this by:
·       Valuing love and service as our main guiding principles
·       Making our home a welcoming place of peace and joy  
·       Maintaining an atmosphere of continual learning
·       Prioritizing a simple, healthy lifestyle above lesser values

A few questions for you to respond to in the comments section:

Where do you find yourself battling between urgent and important?
What was the hardest part about developing your family's purpose statement?
What is one area of time management that needs the most help at your house?

I hope things are going well for you with this study so far.  Are you having issues with anything?  Questions about anything?  Feel free to ask them in the comments section or email me, whichever works best for you!

(I'm surviving VBS, but just barely...maybe next week I'll be a little more inspiring!! :)  )

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is our statement:

We, the Pipkin family, believe that our purpose as a family is to live our lives in a way that is pleasing to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We will achieve this by:
 valuing our blessings and our health
 making our home a place of stability, acceptance, and joy
 prioritizing relationships
 interacting with each other in a spirit of peace
 striving to use the gifts we have been given and finding ways to glorify God while using those gifts.

I think my battles come with my kids activities. I would love for them to be involved in lots of stuff, but the time and the pocketbook don't allow it.
The hardest part of developing my family statement was getting my husband on board. This is way out of his comfort zone, but we got it done!
The area of time management in our home that needs the most attention is how we maintain our home.

A. Pipkin

Clydene P said...

Right now in our lives I feel that my husband's job is the time management area the needs the most help. Since he doesn't exactly have set hours for getting off work, it is hard to plan our family time together. We can plan and set things a side but then things "happen" and he gets home late, so we go to plan B. It is hard with his job to keep it in the right priority since we have to have the income, but don't always like the convience of its timing!! Though we do try to take advantage of those early days!!

The Morphisclan Family said...

I let little things become urgent and take over. When the truly urgent get pushed back because I don't want to deal with it.
We had trouble with the family statement when it came to sitting down and getting my husband to give me his full attention, but we finally got it done!!
Mean planning and cooking and laundry needs the most time management. My laundry pills up before I will tackle it.
Thanks so much for this..my family is in dire need of simplicity!!
Melissa

Karen said...

You guys are doing great!! I love reading your comments and your honesty in your areas of struggle! I am praying for you all, trusting that God is going to guide, direct, and see you through this process. It will be SO worth it, I promise!! Love and blessings!!

Anonymous said...

We finally finished our purpose statement. It needs some tweaking but the over all thought is there.

As a family, we will fear God and keep His commandments. (Ecc 12)
We will make our family relationships a priority by serving and edifying each other and by investing time in each other.
Our home will be a refuge that is pleasant, warm and comforting.
We will glorify God by serving others.

I think our time management is poor because we are too spontaneous. We put aside what needs to be done for what we want to be doing. We lose focus on the big picture.
D.O.

Nicole H said...

I realized in going through chapter 3 - we HAVE a purpose statement, developed 5 years ago. Now the hard part is sitting down with husband to make sure it still works for us, and is where we want it, and to evaluate what isn't working. I'm excited - it's like discovering a long forgotten gift! (Which sorta tells how well we implemented the purpose statement last time.... eesh.)

Nicole H said...

PS Urgent has been getting caught up on finances & laundry.... Now to focus on important, and finding the line for each!