Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Organized Simplicity: Week 4 in Review

First of all, please forgive my tardiness in getting this post completed.  We have been out of town for a few days for some much-needed R&R and just returned last night.  I had to take care of first things first (like unloading all of our dirty laundry and making a trip to the grocery store!), and now I am able to sit down and focus on Organized Simplicity for a bit!  There were some great comments from this past week, and those have just now been posted for the same reason.

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."  --William Morris
I urge you to memorize this quote.  I believe you will find it invaluable in the weeks to come as we decide which of our belongings needs to stay and which ones need to be thrown out, sold or donated.  If you are like me, you will come across many things during the cleaning out process that will make you ask yourself, "Why is this here?"  My answer often times was "because so-and-so gave it to me" or "I've just always had it" or "I used to think it was pretty" or (here's my favorite) "it was on sale." :)  When I am cleaning out and purging, if the item in question is not useful in some way or beautiful to myself (or my family, depending on what the item is), it is leaving our home, one way or another.  This concept makes the decision-making process so much easier when attempting to simplify.

Here are a few questions for you to think about and discuss in the comments section:
  • What skill or craft have you always wanted to be able to do or learn, but have never had the time to do so?  How can you make that skill or craft a part of your life now?
  • Were you able to identify any changes that needed to take place in order for you home to be congruent with your family purpose statement?
  • Are you interested in having a joint garage sale with other interested families within our class, or would you rather do your own thing (plan your own sale, donate everything to charity, etc)?
Okay, this upcoming week gets down to the nitty, gritty work--we start the process of decluttering, cleaning and organizing our home!  As Tsh mentioned in the chapters we just read, the process will be hard, potentially emotional, and probably will involve some sweat--but it WILL be worth it!!!  DON'T GIVE UP!!  Here is our assignment for the week ahead:
  • Read Chapters 9 & 10
  • Begin memorizing Matthew 6.19-21
  • Do a quick sweep of your home, as mentioned in Chapter 9
  • Declutter, clean & organize your living room
From this week forward, we will tackle one room per week for the declutter/clean/organize process.  Once again, I urge you to plan for this--each week, mark the day or days off your calendar that you will set aside for each week's assignment.  If you don't plan the time for this, other activities or plans will prevent it from ever happening.

I'm praying for you all--I can't wait to hear your success stories as we begin to simplify!  Feel free to take pictures of your before, during and after--I'd love to include them in my post next week!!  Blessings to you all!

1 comment:

Clydene P said...

My living room was the easiest room, dreading the kitchen and the kids room!
What I have done for some time is post things on one of those for sale sites on facebook, so I get it out of the house immediately instead of waiting and maybe dragging it back in. If it is not worth the time to put it on there then I give it away for free or trash it! It also doesn't take much time or effort to do this.